Hangang Bridge bombing
On 27 June, early morning, Rhee Syngman evacuated himself from Seoul by special train with the other government officials. At 11:00 am, the South Korean Army headquarters decided to bomb the Hangang Bridge to stop the North Korean invasion and gave up defending Seoul. From noon to 3:30 pm, the Korean Army planted 3,600 pounds of TNT at the Hangang bridge. At 11:30 pm, the bombing warning order was issued. However, the South Korean Army didn't announce the bombing to Seoul citizens.
On 28 June, at 1:45 am, the bombing order was issued. At 2:30 am, the Hangang Bridge was bombed without warning. The bridge was filled with 4,000 refugees when it was bombed, and between 500 and 1,000 refugees were killed. The South Korean government said 800 people died in the blast. The South Korean Fifth Division was also cut off from its retreat path. At 11:00 am, the North Korean Army reached the bridge.
On 21 September 1950, Colonel Choi Changsik was executed as the responsible person for the bombing. In 1964, Choi's wife pleaded his innocence to the appeal tribunal, and the court found Choi not guilty because the bombing order was issued by his superior officers.
 See also
- ^ a b c d e "57년 동안 한강 떠돈 원혼들을 위로하다 '한강인도교 폭파 희생자 위령제' 열려... "피난민 내팽게친 이승만은 전범" 출처 : 57년 동안 한강 떠돈 원혼들을 위로하다 - 오마이뉴스". Ohmynews. 2007-06-28. http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0000419377. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- ^ a b c d e f "만물상 6•25 한강다리 폭파의 희생자들". Chosun Ilbo. 2010-06-29. http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/06/29/2010062902370.html. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- ^ a b c d e f ""한강다리 폭파책임자 역사의 심판대에" 평화재향군인회, 28일 '한강 인도교 폭파 희생자 위령제' 열어". Daily JoongAng. 2007-06-28. http://dailiang.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=280. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- ^ "한강대교와 철교, 광진교 복구". Seoul Special City Government. http://www.seoul.go.kr/life/life/culture/history_book/picture_seoul3/6/1212484_5170.html. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- ^ Johnston, William. A war of patrols: Canadian Army operations in Korea. Univ of British Columbia Pr. p. 20. ISBN 0774810084. http://books.google.co.kr/books?id=bixhkOzc9DcC&pg=PA20&dq=&ei=z09MTP3hFYPWvQPRnui7Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAjgU#v=onepage&q&f=false.